Thursday, September 17, 2020

Hog Rings and such

Going through Mom and Dad's stuff. Wondering how a can of hog rings got all the way through their life, so I am left with a can of them. They never had hogs, I know that's not why they had them, although my uncle had some, I remember two in particular, Christine and Gertrude.... So did they come from him? But they are also used in upholstery, and my aunt Eunice did upholstery. And another uncle raised pigs, but he was in Minnesota, so I doubt it came from him. And why would they have kept hog rings in a retirement community? I guess they might come in handy for something. So I watched a YouTube tutorial on using hog rings, and lo and behold, you can use them for lots of things. They make good hinges on wire panels in the garden, there's 3 I could use. 
THAT's why it's so hard to get rid of stuff. I somehow have all this thinking to do. Fortunately not always. I have to figure out why they had it in the first place, because otherwise I don't have any idea if I should keep it. 
Well I know I'm not going to raise hogs. Or do upholstery. I can see that I might occasionally use some in the garden. Is it worth keeping a can of hog rings for "I might use them someday" and I guess that's why my dad hung on to them. They are so versatile? HA.Maybe I could make chain mail. LOL oh yeah I could give them to James..... or just leave them for my kids to wonder why mom had a can of hog rings... 

I don't suppose any of my cousins want an old can of hog rings. 

post signature

No comments:

About Me

My photo
just a crafty grandma experimenting with all sorts of things. My main interests are paper craft of any kind and quilting/sewing. But I've done leatherwork, polymer clay, on-the-wheel pottery, painted molded ceramics, papier mache, stained glass, plaster casting, linoleum printing, paper making... you name it, I've probably tried it. A few I actually stuck with. :)