Sunday, September 27, 2020

tomatoes. what's up with these.

what is up with these tomatoes?? The one on the left came off the YELLOW PEAR plant and the other two are supposed to be ROMA. My cherry tomatoes are teensy too. And the zucchini wasn't as prolific as I hoped. 
in my defense, it has been the strangest summer on record. Some days as high as 112, and smoky smoky smoky. And my yard is solid clay. I have one 4x4 raised bed, and the tomatoes ended up in there. I planted NINE bean plants, but only a few came up, and bugs ate all but one, so totally I got about a dozen beans. 😁 I made a pot of soup and they were tasty in the soup, if you could find them.

I'm hoping to spend more time in the yard now, it's cooler, but still hot. I'm already planning to plant a bunch of flower seeds as soon as I get the dirt worked, and hope they will come up early. Also starting the tomatoes in around February, and putting them out as soon as I can. Maybe the combination will work. 

I did get some potatoes. I harvested them kind of early so I could put the tomatoes in there. I put them in containers but it was just way to hot for them so I buried them. That worked. I've been researching how to grow potatoes in a barrel or some other container. I think it requires hay however so there's that. 

When I gardened before I had Mom, Dad, 5 kids to help me. Actually we were helping my Dad LOL!! So I have been doing a lot of video watching and reading and planning what I can actually do. I have one bag of garden soil and one of potting soil, so will need more. The main thing is to Be Confident and Just Do It. I know it will be worth it. 

No comments:

About Me

My photo
just a crafty grandma experimenting with all sorts of things. My main interests are paper craft of any kind and quilting/sewing. But I've done leatherwork, polymer clay, on-the-wheel pottery, painted molded ceramics, papier mache, stained glass, plaster casting, linoleum printing, paper making... you name it, I've probably tried it. A few I actually stuck with. :)