Tuesday, September 1, 2020

sick humor

The other day, my dear husband told me he thought there was a sick animal under the house. I asked him what it sounded like and he made a sound kind of a cross between a rusty hinge and a sick animal. I said, "Well the neighbors have chickens, maybe they have a young rooster just learning how to crow".  

He said, "It couldn't be that, it sounds like a sick cat or something"

Me: "If it was a sick animal it would be all the time. I think it's a young rooster."

Him: "well I'll wake you up early and you can hear if for yourself. Around 6:00."

When I was younger, I was an early riser. When you have lots of kids, you wake up early, usually when some child jumps on you and insists it is Time For Breakfast, even if it is 5 AM. Lately, with nothing to tell me to go to bed early, I have been known to sleep in until 9 or even 10. 

Me: "Are you serious??"

Him: "Yes."

So the next morning he wakes me up and we listen and listen and listen and nothing. Finally when I had quit listening, he says "Did you hear that?"

I have severe tinnitus. I can hardly hear myself think when I first wake up, much less hear what I know is a young rooster. I said, "No."

We go on with our day after my nap... it counts as a nap I'm thinking, because I am going back to sleep after having been Up. 

Fast forward a couple days. He says, "I think I figured it out. I think it is the neighbor's young rooster learning to crow!"
 
What a genius. I nodded and said, "I think you might be right!"

I try not to say I told you so. But it slides out anyway. "I told you that in the first place." 

He just grins. Today, I was out in the yard when I heard a sick sound. You guessed it. A young rooster learning to crow. 

This reminds me of Beyonce. I read this once a year or so for a few days of chuckles. It's very true, you need to pick your battles. Please forgive a bit of language and laugh until you cry. I do. Every. Time.



No comments:

About Me

My photo
just a crafty grandma experimenting with all sorts of things. My main interests are paper craft of any kind and quilting/sewing. But I've done leatherwork, polymer clay, on-the-wheel pottery, painted molded ceramics, papier mache, stained glass, plaster casting, linoleum printing, paper making... you name it, I've probably tried it. A few I actually stuck with. :)