Friday, February 19, 2021

is it that close to spring already?

Of course, if you are in the Yukon, I don't think that there is a question, and also in some other parts of the country THIS year, like Texas, it is clear that winter is still a thing. But here, with such mild winters that once in awhile we get a light frost, and it hasn't snowed since 1969, it is a little harder. Today when I was out, I thought, I should have everything planted by now. There are flowers and blooming trees everywhere. My daffodils are going crazy, and so is the oxalis, although I think of that as a WEED but hubby doesn't seem to, and then there is the shepherd's purse and purslane and mallow and wild geraniums and dandilions which aren't weeds TO ME but they are to HIM. Every year it's a Discussion about Weeds and me running around trying to harvest a few before they get mowed down. I miss my pasture, where there were so many wild things that I could harvest, and not worry about someone (well, other than cows) mowing them down. 
Oh well, I chose to live here, didn't I. 
I spent some time in the craft room today, but not crafting, I was cleaning and clearing. Sometimes I see videos of people deciding to clean their craft room and finishing in a few hours. HA. Mine will take weeks, since there are those pesky Parent and Child boxes in there, that I don't have a clue what to do with. I open one of those and I turn around and leave the area. 

So today just a picture of my beautiful daffodils, where there are some freesia popping up, and a few daisies, and a lot of rosemary covered in bees. Lovely. 
And trying to plan what I can grow, and what I need to plant NOW... and making a list of plants I want to put in the back yard. Lavender and Rosemary for starters. And Sage. I find myself back at my dad's garden. It was on a hill, with built up areas on both sides. Honeysuckle. Roses. Calendula. Strawberries, asparagus. Memories of brushing the snow off the broccoli and picking off the tender buds and popping them in my mouth. And then in May, when we could go out and grab snow peas. I would love to create such a beautiful idyllic place again. My dad did, after we moved away from Dreamland, he created such a place of respite in the courtyard where he lived. I wish I had some of his confidence and his "gumption" which he said I always lacked.
See his garden, laugh at his antics, reminisce if you've been there.



 post signature

No comments:

About Me

My photo
just a crafty grandma experimenting with all sorts of things. My main interests are paper craft of any kind and quilting/sewing. But I've done leatherwork, polymer clay, on-the-wheel pottery, painted molded ceramics, papier mache, stained glass, plaster casting, linoleum printing, paper making... you name it, I've probably tried it. A few I actually stuck with. :)