Sunday, March 28, 2021

Interesting Oldness...

Something I absolutely never knew, they used to make greeting cards that were Congratulations for Getting your Tonsils taken out.  I mean, that was a very popular surgery when I was little,, nearly everyone had their tonsils out. 

Anyway, in my Putting Things Away I found a bag that had "Linda" on it three times, in my mother in law's handwriting. I remember seeing it, but I could see that it was full of greeting cards, and I just couldn't look in it. So it got put in a box, and today, I opened the box, and there was the bag, and today I felt like looking in it. 






My mother in law didn't save much of anything at all. She lived in the same house for 60 years, and the closets were not stuffed full, there were not a ton of boxes in the garage... she dealt with things.  

Unlike me.

Maybe that's why I was reluctant to look in the bag, what did she save for me?? But it was just cards. She knew I made them, so she saved them for me.

So it was fun to see what was in her greeting card collection. 







The first one is from 1948. I had never thought about a "Congratulations for Getting Your Tonsils Out" card but there it is. Seems a little bizarre to me. But in those days it was kind of a Rite of Passage I guess, you were Growing Up so now it's time to lose the tonsils. Glad they stopped that craziness. I have tons of allergies, and had many episodes of tonsillitis, and my adenoids are also gone. I STILL have allergies, and my poor little tonsil tag that grew back gets inflamed, so maybe there was a reason mine are gone. But it seems that for awhile it was all the rage to do that. 




A  birthday card from 1940. 

 

There were a few lovely floral cards, but no date, but the price was 25 cents so it was awhile ago. An Ideals Valentine book from 1963.  Ideals made many beautiful books, lot of photographs, and lots of poetry. I remember loving them as a child. I saved quite a few, although eventually I either let them go or cut some up (!!) for art projects. 

Then there were a couple cards that didn't exactly suit my mother in law's humor, but my hubby could have bought. I didn't know my father in law, maybe he had the same twisted humor... 







So there you are. I have another post coming for the art I've been doing but I always find this stuff interesting, a little picture of the past. I still can't imagine a Congratulations for Tonsil Removal. Kind of like Congratulations that Your Gall Bladder is Gone!




post signature

1 comment:

Auntie Em said...

What a sweet little bag of treasures. I love old greeting cards and have saved them for over 45 years. That is a lot of cards but when I dig them out and look through them, they become bags of memories.

Thank you for sharing your treasures! :)

About Me

My photo
just a crafty grandma experimenting with all sorts of things. My main interests are paper craft of any kind and quilting/sewing. But I've done leatherwork, polymer clay, on-the-wheel pottery, painted molded ceramics, papier mache, stained glass, plaster casting, linoleum printing, paper making... you name it, I've probably tried it. A few I actually stuck with. :)