Thursday, May 28, 2009

giving timeless gifts...

MAY 28, 2009
Giving Timeless Gifts
I’ve been reading a little devotional book my daughter gave to me. It is Ruth Graham Bell’s Letters from Ruth’s Attic. I’ve been randomly reading them; usually more than one a day. In fact I have read them all! I tend to run ahead and want everything at once. 😦

Anyway, I was touched by Day 17– Giving Timeless Gifts. It tells a little story about some pranksters that broke into a department store only to switch price tags on things. So when people came in the next day, they found fur coats selling for $5, cold cream for $150, umbrellas for $1,000… you get the idea.

The point was, things come into our lives that switch price tags on our values! Material things become more important than the things of eternity! She then goes on to suggest gifts for others that are timeless:

“To your neighbors, nice or not, give thoughtful consideration. Be slow to gossip, quick to sympathize, ready to help– praying all the while that God will give them the necessary patience to live next to you. To your parents, give loving appreciation… to your spouse, give a frank, honest reappraisal of yourself… to your children, give them more of the parent they already have, and make that one more loving. These are gifts of the heart and of the spirit. Those are those you love that long for and desperately need these gifts…”

Ah to be like Jesus! That is what we strive for.  Lord make me a better servant, help me listen to your nudges, follow YOU without hesitation. I love You, Lord. Thank You for all that You have already done in my life through Your Spirit.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
just a crafty grandma experimenting with all sorts of things. My main interests are paper craft of any kind and quilting/sewing. But I've done leatherwork, polymer clay, on-the-wheel pottery, painted molded ceramics, papier mache, stained glass, plaster casting, linoleum printing, paper making... you name it, I've probably tried it. A few I actually stuck with. :)