Monday, November 9, 2009

an olive tree...

NOVEMBER 9, 2009
like an olive tree in the House of the Lord!
Today is my precious daughter’s birthday. She was named after her grandmother, Olivia. I love the name, it is such a pretty and musical name. Her middle name is Grace after the Grace of the Lord.

My first two were given names with very special meanings. My first son’s name means “gift of God”. My second son was named after 2 great men, the apostle Paul and one of the great theologians. I looked up the name “Olivia” and it said “olive tree” and then I thought, well it’s a pretty name, and it’s after her grandma…

But years later,  the Lord showed me how her name is straight from the Bible too. Here is the scripture He gave me for her…

It is Psalm 52:8-9

 8 But I am like a green olive tree in the house of God;
         I trust in the mercy of God forever and ever.
 9 I will praise You forever,
         Because You have done it;
         And in the presence of Your saints
         I will wait on Your name, for it is good.

And I love Matthew Henry’s commentary on these verses…

52:6-9 Those wretchedly deceive themselves, who think to support themselves in power and wealth without God… Those who by faith and love dwell in the house of God, shall be like green olive-trees there. And that we may be as green olive-trees, we must live a life of faith and holy confidence in God and his grace. It adds much to the beauty of our profession, and to fruitfulness in every grace, to be much in praising God; and we never can want matter for praise. His name alone can be our refuge and strong tower. It is very good for us to wait on that saving name; there is nothing better to calm and quiet our spirits, when disturbed, and to keep us in the way of duty, when tempted to use any crooked courses for our relief, than to hope, and quietly wait for the salvation of the Lord. None ever followed his guidance but it ended well.

Happy birthday, wonderful daughter!!

No comments:

About Me

My photo
just a crafty grandma experimenting with all sorts of things. My main interests are paper craft of any kind and quilting/sewing. But I've done leatherwork, polymer clay, on-the-wheel pottery, painted molded ceramics, papier mache, stained glass, plaster casting, linoleum printing, paper making... you name it, I've probably tried it. A few I actually stuck with. :)