Saturday, June 23, 2012

Barbie's new dress

Barbie has a new dress...
Quick and easy. I can see this is going to be extremely versatile, long skirt, slim skirt, straps, cap sleeves... this one is for a little sweetie's birthday party tomorrow. Doll Not Included. I got her a couple commercial outfits, because I just didn't know how much sewing I would get to do. And glad I did-- this one is all I had time for! This blog has some other ideas I am going to try as well.

Sewing has been frustrating with the loss of my machine cord. It is going to cost at least $80 to replace. So I bought a teensy Dritz machine for $19.95 at Walmart. So far have patched two pairs of pants and made this dress. It isn't heavy duty of course but I think it will be fine for little stuff. It is battery operated...
 I like the way the dress turned out, and have some other fabric scraps to use. This is from a fat quarter, it uses just 5 inches of the fat quarter so I could make a few from the fat quarter. 

So a satisfying time making her dress! I got a few other pieces to make others, so I guess MY Barbie collection will be well dressed, unless I give more away...

There's a great tutorial for this dress here:

http://www.craftinessisnotoptional.com/2010/08/barbie-dress-tutorial.html
 

I did it a bit differently because I wanted the top lined. Turned out great! See what else I've been up to with dolls here...

1 comment:

Lindy said...

Thanks for stopping by!! I will visit yours as soon as I finish this post.

Going to do a bit of sewing tonight. Today all I got done was mending. But that needed to be done far more than Barbie clothes... I came across a piece of pink satiny stuff in my stash and it's going to turn into a fancy dress tonight and tomorrow. Hopefully. And the little sweetie and her mama LOVED her new Barbie dresses!

About Me

My photo
just a crafty grandma experimenting with all sorts of things. My main interests are paper craft of any kind and quilting/sewing. But I've done leatherwork, polymer clay, on-the-wheel pottery, painted molded ceramics, papier mache, stained glass, plaster casting, linoleum printing, paper making... you name it, I've probably tried it. A few I actually stuck with. :)