Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Rejoice in the Lord always... dementia adventures

post signatureJANUARY 18, 2012
Rejoice in the Lord always…
Today I’ve been thinking about thankfulness and rejoicing. In the middle of my day with Grandma…

I wondered where rejoicing went in all this. I was frustrated, angry, and in despair, not knowing what to do next for poor Grandma, who was in some Angry World today. She yelled at me, accused me of stealing, was angry that people were taking care of her… and all I could think was How do I rejoice in this?? I did start to laugh, thinking about the book C&C&V and I are doing, Every Day a Friday…. and I’m thinking, Friday the 13th you mean, LOL

It seems to me that God is teaching me how to not get “all bunched up” when things are wacky. I could just feel my blood pressure rising at the 110th time arguing about the fact that nobody is stealing her underwear. And there I am again, defending the sweet girls that help out on other days. And telling her again that “the boy” that is caring for her is her SON…. she doesn’t remember. She is sure that he’s a son she doesn’t remember, a DIFFERENT one than K. Sigh. It must be breaking his heart.

Anguish… is that part of joy somehow? Is “joy” something different than I think it is? We’re supposed to “Consider it pure joy” when we have trials. We are learning perseverance.  We are to “let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything” (James chapter 1) So in spite of the anguish, we can be thankful that God is working in us, or working in the person we are with… because we can trust He’s doing either one or the other.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
just a crafty grandma experimenting with all sorts of things. My main interests are paper craft of any kind and quilting/sewing. But I've done leatherwork, polymer clay, on-the-wheel pottery, painted molded ceramics, papier mache, stained glass, plaster casting, linoleum printing, paper making... you name it, I've probably tried it. A few I actually stuck with. :)