Thursday, January 19, 2012

the Boy.... dementia adventures

JANUARY 19, 2012
the Boy
Taking care of my mother in law  today, we had a discussion about The Boy. For the last few weeks, she’s been talking about him. One day, she told me that she had a little tiny baby, one that fit in her hand, and that she didn’t know what happened to him. I told her, that was your son! It really was, he only weighed four pounds when he was born. But she is sure there is a Boy that she had, a second son. According to her, she doesn’t know where he grew up, and is so glad he’s back.  The other day she asked my husband where he grew up, and where he went when he left. Poor guy, he was sure confused, having his mother ask him questions like that. He didn’t know what to think.

Later she told me that he was in jail for awhile, and recently came home. She wanted to know where he had been living.

Today, she told me that her son (my husband) and The Boy should go down to the basement together and clean out the water heater, because she’s afraid of the hot water.  I spent some time telling her that there is no Boy, only her son caring for her. She looked confused, then it seemed like she was starting to understand.
As the day progressed, we had some good reminiscing times, when she seemed to really get the facts straight. We talked and laughed. Then I said, “I’m going to make some cookies.”

She said, “Good! The boys will really like that.”

Sigh.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
just a crafty grandma experimenting with all sorts of things. My main interests are paper craft of any kind and quilting/sewing. But I've done leatherwork, polymer clay, on-the-wheel pottery, painted molded ceramics, papier mache, stained glass, plaster casting, linoleum printing, paper making... you name it, I've probably tried it. A few I actually stuck with. :)