Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Left Handed Crochet and Rambling on about blogging.

I've been reading Jill's blog. She has a section, 30 Lessons in Blogging. One of the things she says is to find your focus. Well. I took a look at my blog to see if I could find a focus. My focus changes drastically. I tend to stick to one thing for awhile then switch. I get bored doing the same thing all the time. So I just might keep the blog Just For Me. Time will tell.

I was looking at my "tag cloud" and saw that ART JOURNAL is the biggest one, meaning that's the one that had the most posts. But I haven't done a page in awhile. Recently my focus has been finishing UFO's and I always immediately finish my art journal pages. So nothing to finish. I decided to focus on yarn projects. I didn't have too many of them, fortunately, and right now I'm down to 2 unfinished ones. I have to find the instructions before I can do that. So I have allowed myself to start new ones, as long as I finish the one I'm working on. So far so good.

 I've been decluttering EVERYTHING.

That said, I have not gotten rid of any yarn. In fact, I just acquired some more. I've been wanting to make a big afghan, big enough to use as a blanket for my bed. I saw some lovely yarn "on sale" so I had to get it. I don't know if it will end up as my blanket. It is not enough for a whole blanket, however. I have other yarn that I was thinking about using with it. I am hoping for a lovely blue blanket.

 I would love to do it in cotton, but I've been reading about how heavy that could be so I'm not sure.  If I had a lot of readers, LOL, I would ask their opinion.

Anyway. I started out crocheting with cotton, just straight double crochet, thinking I would make a blanket for a doll for practice. I am having a LOT of trouble keeping the edge straight. One side was perfect and the other wonky. So I watched some tutorials on double crochet, especially for left handers. It was strange, because the first one I watched only did two rows so there was no instruction for crocheting in the turning chain! But I found one, from Leisure Arts; Left Handed Double Crochet. I am just going to watch it over and over, and even crochet with it. I would rather work with a person, but I don't know any other left handed crocheters... I guess it wouldn't matter, really, I ought to ask M.... hmm.

It's been a stressful week, and when I was at my daughter's I started a hat. So now I have two unfinished, I broke my newly made rule. Oh well. I promise not to start the blanket before I finish the hat, the baby blanket, and those two socks.

Unless I am at my daughter's without a project to work on, LOL. At least I'm helping her work on HER stash!

6/18 FINISHED THE HAT. And crocheted as far as I could with the yarn I had with the doll blanket, while waiting for my mom at the doctor's. Apparently watching those videos helped, as well as making a small swatch with bulky yarn and a big needle. I'm doing much better!


No comments:

About Me

My photo
just a crafty grandma experimenting with all sorts of things. My main interests are paper craft of any kind and quilting/sewing. But I've done leatherwork, polymer clay, on-the-wheel pottery, painted molded ceramics, papier mache, stained glass, plaster casting, linoleum printing, paper making... you name it, I've probably tried it. A few I actually stuck with. :)