Sunday, August 30, 2020

Grocery Surprise Solutions

A couple weeks ago we got some surprises with our groceries. Someone stuck an extra sack in our groceries, and one of the things was a quart of sour cream. It was the Expiration Date yesterday. I hadn't opened it, and it was fine, but needed to get used. Well the only thing that I use sour cream for is with potatoes, and we hardly ever have them since we TRY to eat more low carb... and I didn't have any, anyway. I looked up recipes that use sour cream and found one with chicken and sour cream. 10 ounces of sour cream, 3 eggs, salt and pepper, onion salt, garlic salt, Italian seasoning... mozzarella cheese. Cut up the raw chicken and put it in the casserole dish, mix the sour cream, a cup of mozzarella and the eggs, pour over the chicken. Sprinkle all the whatever seasonings on the top, put another cup of mozzarella on the top. Bake for 45 minutes at 375 degrees. The recipe called for a sliced tomato on the top before the mozz but I didn't have any except 5 teensy cherry tomatoes from the garden, so I left it plain. I baked it in the morning while it was cool and we heated it up later. It was really good. Pretty firm, savory custard type thing. I am known for eating stuff cold and I sure did. I think it would be good with pizza ish toppings on it, too. Which reminds me there's some pepperoni in there that needs using... And it's low carb. We haven't been doing well with low carb and we've both gained back some weight. I have to lose it before I have to renew my driver's license, so I don't have to admit the gain. I have a couple years. HA!! 
Now I still have half a carton of sour cream to figure out, some kind of cookies maybe... or see if there's some more chicken in there and make more. I used up everything else except the baloney, which Jay picked up for his boys, since neither K or I like baloney. It was kind of fun getting stuff to try, like Jimmy Dean sausage, which we hadn't had before. That was really tasty and we think we might get it again. We also got turkey dogs, which we weren't too excited about, but we ate, and there was cottage cheese and a zucchini from a friend that ended up being lasagna. I think we used up everything. We got all that extra stuff free, because the store said they couldn't take it back. It was a little Something Different in the middle of this strange monotony of Social Distancing. I know we distance more than we need to, because we're a couple of old introverts with no imagination. I feel like this is really boring lately. So here's a picture of the Wacko Cat. I don't suppose it helps much.


Nothing crafty to report, I downloaded some stuff from Club Scrap to spark my imagination. I also cut out some stuff from some patterned paper to embellish some cards. And ordered a kit that makes 12 cards. Just for something different. I think there's only 5 more card fronts to finish not counting the gelli prints. Unless more shows up. And they might. There's a card file box that I haven't found yet, I don't know if there are card fronts or not in there. I watched several videos, so I want to get in there and do something. I looked at the wall hanging that needs quilting today, and got out the machine, so that might get done tomorrow. No promises. Trying to not be a zombie, but these days are a struggle. 

 post signature

No comments:

About Me

My photo
just a crafty grandma experimenting with all sorts of things. My main interests are paper craft of any kind and quilting/sewing. But I've done leatherwork, polymer clay, on-the-wheel pottery, painted molded ceramics, papier mache, stained glass, plaster casting, linoleum printing, paper making... you name it, I've probably tried it. A few I actually stuck with. :)