Tuesday, August 4, 2020

Peace and Quiet, Pandemic Style

 This doesn't have much to do with creating, directly, but it does have much to do with peace of mind, so I guess it does have something to do with creating, indirectly. 

This swing was my grandma's swing. It's from the 1940s I think, which makes it around 80. 
As a teenager, I slept on this swing every night I could, summer and sometimes winter. I loved the feeling of just being alone, introvert that I am. My household always had extras in it, so escape I did.

When my parents sold their land, this spent a year in a storage shed, then moved with me. I haven't used it the last few years, it got piled up with stuff and dusty, and I was too busy lazy to clear it off. Well I've been feeling desperate for peace these days, so I did it. The arms need refinishing, again. My mom made the cover for this sometime in the 70s but since it has been on a porch and not in the sun, it's in good condition. I cleaned it with upholstery cleaner so it is good to go. I don't think I can get hubby out there to just sit, but I've spent quite a bunch of time out there just thinkin and gazing into space. Ahhhh. No political rantings, no pandemic news. Just quiet. Hubby hung up his mom's wind chimes, and they are deep and soothing. I think next is a small table so I can do some crafty stuff out there. My mom and dad and kids made a mosaic tabletop many years ago, but I have to figure out the legs, since it was attached to a typewriter table, which I've been using as a craft table, so maybe I'll use that and figure out what else to do for a craft table. No hurry, I'm not going anywhere. 
The Mills Family Swing



post signature

No comments:

About Me

My photo
just a crafty grandma experimenting with all sorts of things. My main interests are paper craft of any kind and quilting/sewing. But I've done leatherwork, polymer clay, on-the-wheel pottery, painted molded ceramics, papier mache, stained glass, plaster casting, linoleum printing, paper making... you name it, I've probably tried it. A few I actually stuck with. :)