Tuesday, January 5, 2021

reminscing again, finding Ginny dresses, and misc. musings.


Their eyes are so dark I can't seem to get them to show up. The one on the right was mine when I was little, but the wig disintegrated years ago, and she spent long years bald. I finally found a wig that didn't cost an arm an a leg. I couldn't stand to pay $25 for a little dolly wig! Made $5 sound cheap LOL. The dress is one my mom made, it's a girl scout uniform. I found a bit of brown felt, and will make her a little beanie. I don't know if I will make any more dresses for these beauties, they aren't for playing for anymore, even though my Ginny works fine, she's still old. The "newer" Ginny is a bit pigeon toed, her legs don't work right, and her head is a little bit tipped. I think she's still cute. 

She needs some shoes, I think I have some her size but not sure where I put that box. Sigh. I also got teensy gloves for Betsy so her burned hand doesn't show. Everybody's got clothes now, still need to work on panties. 😉

I really like New Ginny's dress. It's from Cindy Rice. 

Did a couple more Rolodex cards today, and emptied a few boxes. I now have this collection of stuff I have no idea what to do with. My parents have escrow records way back from the 60s when they sold their house and bought The Land. I think you are personally supposed to keep them forever, but what about kids?? I don't know. And old keys?? I'd like to come up with something, because otherwise they are just going to landfill.. 

Trying to declutter and downsize, I have let go a few dolls so far, but then I ended up getting another few, but they are tiny ones, 3 of them only 4 inches tall, and so I think that's the way I'm going to go. Maybe to the police department for kids, or the homeless shelter, or something like that. I really was convicted I guess you'd say, thinking of why do I want to just keep stuff in a suitcase forever!! But there are a few dolls I have that are so old I don't think they would be good to play with, like Posey, and the Ginnys and Betsys and Shirley Temple especially. Right now the Ginnys are being displayed on my clean dresser along with the angels. One I got from the funeral home when Mom died and I love it. She has butterfly wings, which is what attracted me. The other was would you believe from Dollar Tree, and I repainted her. She's beautiful. 

I do have a hoarder's mentality. I prefer to think of it as a hunter-gatherer LOL I was reading a thing on personality types earlier. There was a quiz of course and it says I have a "cautious" personality. Yup. One of the things they said was that an advantage to a "cautious" personality, was being prepared. Yes, we already had a toilet paper stash, and a food stash... that's the way I am, from living an hour and a half from town. We had to be prepared, and I never lost that desire. Now I live a mile from a grocery store and I still hoard. LOL not like the folks with piles in their houses, although I have a room like that, like Grandma Butler's Middle Bedroom which was packed full...

And that's where the musings go. 


My beautiful Mary, that I got when I was REALLY small, I don't remember not having her. She still works except for her voice. She's sitting on my mom's treadle sewing machine, that also needs repair. My my my. I will never get everything done, LOL, and that's pretty far down the list. Mary is wearing a baby dress that I altered to more or less fit her. Still needs the sleeves shortened. I do still have her original dress but she looks so good in deep rich colors and not pale yellow. She's not for playing either, so I'm not making more clothes for her. That's a thrift store rescue in the back. She doesn't have a name. She's dressed in a cool newborn animal print outfit with a bright orange jacket. Still needs to be altered. 

It's all fun. I think I'll give away the rescue, when I get her outfit fixed, it will only take a little bit of time. 
I'm getting excited about giving away some dolls. I've been collecting them a long time but I don't  have thousands like That Lady on the Hoarders show. I got quite of few from thrift stores, and they were not in the best condition, and I fixed them up. 

So hopefully no one gets freaked out in my room, I think if someone is going to stay in there, I will hide the girls. 

Enough musing. Thanks for hanging in this far, if you are.















No comments:

About Me

My photo
just a crafty grandma experimenting with all sorts of things. My main interests are paper craft of any kind and quilting/sewing. But I've done leatherwork, polymer clay, on-the-wheel pottery, painted molded ceramics, papier mache, stained glass, plaster casting, linoleum printing, paper making... you name it, I've probably tried it. A few I actually stuck with. :)