Saturday, January 23, 2021

Card Making Prepping

I like to try to stay orderly but it doesn't come easy to me! I like to be able to just pop in my craft room (which is half STORAGE at the moment) and put together a card quickly. So here's what I do. I have white card stock pre made into card bases, either cut in half 5 1/2 by 8 or 4 1/4 x 11. Then I score them into either top folding or side folding, depending of course on what I do, and some I score into center folding cards. I have a container in my drawer that I put them in. Sometimes I used colored card stock to make bases, but usually I do that as I go if I want colored cards.


I have it marked on my score board so it is quick and easy. I don't always remember the measurements so I have to have reminders LOL

I have a large card file box where I keep my frames and technique pieces. 

"frame" category is 4 x 5  1/4. This leaves an 1/8 inch space around the edge for this size card. I either cut this out of plain colored stock (I use a lot of black for frames) and also cut technique pieces this size if I feel like it, and don't use a frame for them. I also cut printed paper this size for quick cards.

"inner" category is 3 3/4 x 5. This is usually for technique pieces, but I also cut a bunch of plain white this size for doing quick technique pieces. I also cut a few of plain colored card stock but I hardly ever end up using them! I also cut this size of patterned card stock if I think I would use it for a card. 


Sometimes I have odd size technique pieces, and I just stick them in the front of my file. For this one, I cut as I did it. 


The card file box I use is pretty huge. I got it at a thrift store, but it measures 5 1/2 tall by 9 inches wide and 5 1/2 inches deep. I also keep technique pieces that fit in there in the back uncut. 

I have another smaller one, not recipe box size but bigger that I keep my finished cards in. It would also work for this. Maybe better LOL... 






When I first started making cards, I didn't have a trimmer, or a cuttlebug, or many stamps, only a few stencils. When I look back on them I am amazed at the difference. Sometimes, I think it would be good to just do without all the gadgets, and do what pleases ME instead of trying to be so perfect.




I can see I need to work on my tags. There are several tags, "cards" and "cards I made" and "hand made cards" if you want to see more. Meanwhile I will work on consolidating the tags LOL


post signature

No comments:

About Me

My photo
just a crafty grandma experimenting with all sorts of things. My main interests are paper craft of any kind and quilting/sewing. But I've done leatherwork, polymer clay, on-the-wheel pottery, painted molded ceramics, papier mache, stained glass, plaster casting, linoleum printing, paper making... you name it, I've probably tried it. A few I actually stuck with. :)