Sunday, December 27, 2020

Heartache Box Musings


Since I abandoned my "journaling" blog, this one ends up with musings in it, because, well life is full of musings, some wonderful, some sad, some just heartbreaking. Today is one.

Trying valiantly to go through boxes and boxes of other people's stuff. My mom's especially today. Bits of paper with lists on them, my cousin's address that I haven't been able to find. The last paperwork from her life insurance policy. Letters from a friend that had moved away. Notes that say "need help". 

This brand new columnar pad. I have never in my life been good at using one of these. Both my parents were. My mother once worked as a bookkeeper so she was very good at the balancing of the checkbook and the Budgeting.  She sure didn't pass that on to me! 
Something that stops me in my tracks is a box that represents frozen time. Like an envelope of 2019 calendars. I remember being in the middle of a journal project that never got finished because I was so busy taking care of my mom then, and I lost all motivation for it when she died, so it got stuffed in an envelope, for me to find later and remember that awful time. Not fun. I want to remember the good not the bad. But that's the way it goes sometimes. 

So much yet to go. I'm thankful that for the most part my parents sorted out all this stuff. I just have trouble figuring out what to do with it all. I know that my memories don't go away with getting rid of stuff, but still some of this is just so personal I hate to just toss it. 

So there's an envelope, with scraps and bits and letters and such. I'll put it in The Box of Parental Stuff and someday someone will go through it and not have attachment to it. 

And should I start using that columnar pad or let it go? HA!!

Sorry, kids. 

post signature

1 comment:

Auntie Em said...

Organized I am not. Happy? Yup, pretty much! Do I remember every one's birthday or anniversary? Sorry, no but I do treat them special all through the year so I guess it evens out.

As for 'stuff', those bits of pieces of paper and things I have throughout the house in little bundles and bags. I am not worried about those. Like you I am leaving them for our kids and grandkids to sort through after I am gone or tucked up in a care home. Sort of my last 'HA!' for all those late nights I had staying up worrying about them while they were growing up. Occasionally I make sure to tuck something important or valuable into them so they will have to go through each one to remember (or curse) me! LOL

Thank you for sharing your lovely blog. Happy New Year and please stay safe!

About Me

My photo
just a crafty grandma experimenting with all sorts of things. My main interests are paper craft of any kind and quilting/sewing. But I've done leatherwork, polymer clay, on-the-wheel pottery, painted molded ceramics, papier mache, stained glass, plaster casting, linoleum printing, paper making... you name it, I've probably tried it. A few I actually stuck with. :)