Monday, December 21, 2020

Heavenly musings

Tonight was supposed to be the big night to see Jupiter and Saturn in close proximity... I had my binoculars all ready, was prepared to watch the clock and get out there at the right time... but we had a little glitch in the plans. FOG. Now, I am quite delighted to see the fog, I love fog. And I know that the California coastal redwoods are so thirsty for the fog that they are stressed. So I was excited to see that maybe the fog is returning to us. HOWEVER. I would have loved it if it would have waited another day. 

It was foggy when we woke up and it never really burned off. It was overcast all day. Fortunately I have friends in other places that posted their pictures, and I am sure I will be able to find others. 

Thinking about this got me reminiscing about star gazing, which is one of my favorite things in the whole world. I've spent many hours watching the stars, seeing "falling stars" and teaching my kids about the stars. We would all get our sleeping bags and gather on my parents' deck and point out the constellations and watch the meteors during meteor showers. I remember so many brilliant streaks across the sky and every streak was exciting and prompted many oohs and aahs and "did you see that?"

Years later I remember standing outside and seeing it almost look like daylight for an instant. I could see it in other people's faces, but it was behind me. 

One year my daughter and son in law took me up the hill in the night for my birthday just to see the stars. We stood across the road from where we lived and just basked in the starlight. I don't know why, but it feels so healing to me, to be in the moonlight and the starlight. Now, in the city, I rarely see the stars. And hubby thinks I'm crazy wanting to go outside at night. But it's nourishing to be in the moonlight. It's like an "aaaaahhhh!" to me, I relax, and I gaze and wonder at God's creation. I need more of that. I need to take care of myself, and let myself meditate in the moonlight.

Not tonight, it's foggy. I wouldn't mind going out in the fog, but hubby has already gone to bed, and I did go out earlier.

My creativity was making dinner today. Cheeseburger pie! Salmon yesterday. And cleaning out cabinets. And deciding to let some of my dolls go. I just have too many. Sometimes you do what you gotta do.

post signature

No comments:

About Me

My photo
just a crafty grandma experimenting with all sorts of things. My main interests are paper craft of any kind and quilting/sewing. But I've done leatherwork, polymer clay, on-the-wheel pottery, painted molded ceramics, papier mache, stained glass, plaster casting, linoleum printing, paper making... you name it, I've probably tried it. A few I actually stuck with. :)