Friday, November 6, 2020

solamente para mi

Re: espanol.

I'm tempted to say, Spanish is odd. BUT. English is more odd, but I've been speaking it my whole life. 
I'm thankful for the internet! So many resources. 


These are great lessons. Liv got me started on this, and it is fun. LOTS of languages available. Maybe I'll start on another sometime. 

spanishdict.com   vocabulary, conjugation, grammar, translation drills

There are things I know in Spanish, like counting, the days of the week, the months, etc.. that we memorized the list, but when I try to count, I end up needing to say uno dos tres cuatro cinco SEIS to get to six. You know, like counting on your fingers to add... LOL  This resource flashes them on the screen, and you fill in the answer, or you can do multiple choice. You can also make your own lists. There is a 1000 beginner words list that is fantastic, it has really speeded up my learning.


https://www.thoughtco.com/    I just found this site, and it looks like a great resource. For a LOT of things. 

 https://www.thoughtco.com/spanish-4133085  the specific Spanish section. Lots to explore. I was referred here in the discussion part of duolingo. It has great explanations of "goofiness" in the language. Discovered when I am trying to say, Me encanta tu nevera... I love your refrigerator... finding out that literally that means, Your refrigerator enchants me. Therefore, the verb has to match the REFRIGERATOR.  Back to diagramming sentences. Most people don't remember that. Mrs. Fields... "find the verb FIRST" 
Okay then. I said, Me encanto tu nevera, which somehow means, the refrigerator USED to enchant me. I thought that I love was AMO. So, could one say "Yo amo tu nevera"? I loved the response...

 
It's grammatically correct, but it means something a bit different. "Amo" is more for romantic love. So weird fetishes aside, it's not something you'd say in that context.

AND NOW you know why, if you try to speak Spanish to a Spanish speaker, they giggle sometimes. 

I'm surprised at how it's coming back. I got some kids' books from National Geographic, and yes I have to look up some words, but I'm getting a lot of it. More on the way. When I'm done, I have a bunch of grandkids who are learning Spanish, and I will pass them on. What fun! from Amazon

So far I have a 67 day streak. Only a few days grumbling. I think the kids' books will help me stay interested, and the fact that my daughter is doing this also, so we can stay accountable. Plus it is fun to point out the silly sentences they come up with, like

   
porque estas debajo de la cama   which means why are you under the bed?


post signature

No comments:

About Me

My photo
just a crafty grandma experimenting with all sorts of things. My main interests are paper craft of any kind and quilting/sewing. But I've done leatherwork, polymer clay, on-the-wheel pottery, painted molded ceramics, papier mache, stained glass, plaster casting, linoleum printing, paper making... you name it, I've probably tried it. A few I actually stuck with. :)