Thursday, November 26, 2020

Thanksgiving

oh dear, I've been thinking again. Our American "Thanksgiving" is kind of confusing, so I'm just going to decided how *I* want to celebrate it and that's what it is. Especially this year. Last night I found out about a dear friend in the ICU... I don't think it's COVID but I don't know for sure, I texted with him for only a minute, he said he's never been so sick in his life. Don't know yet what that means, and of course, I don't want to bug him by asking, it doesn't help to ask.

So. Thanksgiving. I am thankful for lots of things. He made it through the night. We are another day closer to the end of a pandemic, although I wonder how that will be, I don't think it will be one day "it's over" so who knows. 

Last week, we bought a turkey roast. But it was a bit too soon, because I was going to have to freeze it, and then thaw it, and so we just baked it. And ate it. So I decided upon Plan B, which was some chicken soup. I ended up making that yesterday, because both of us thought it sounded like a wonderful idea. However, that left me with nothin today.

So I grabbed a pound of hamburger out of the freezer, and the cream cheese that needed to get used up, and a can of mushroom soup, mixed them all together with some zoodles, and voila we have an actual meal, with veggies and everything. We both ate it, and it was good. A little onions, a little garlic, some Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Not fancy but good.
The other day I made brownies. We are doing low carb because of hubby's diabetes, so I did a low carb version. FAIL. Unless you like chocolate crackers. Actually not bad if you thought of them as thin crispy cookies. Definitely not "brownies". So since I was ordering something else on line I ordered a package of sugar free brownies, it also said "no artificial sweeteners" so I thought all was good. Well I don't know WHAT I was thinking, brownies that aren't sweet? Well there's sweetener all right, malitol. It's an alcohol sugar. I'll leave you and google to figure out what is the problem with malitol. It doesn't affect EVERYONE badly, but I am not taking a chance, but hubby wants to... to top it off, you have to bake them in a 9 inch glass pan (I don't have one) inside another pan (who has that setup??) with water in it. I sense another FAIL coming. 

But I'm going to laugh and not cry if it's a fail, and I am NOT eating any of these. I have ingredients for regular brownies, and I am not diabetic. Of course a whole pan full?? Not all in one day, I'll freeze them. 

Meantime, back to painting, I'm starting another of Cat Hand's series while I'm waiting for the next Mini Morsel. This one is snack bags, from last year. It will be fun. Usually I paint what I want, but this is helping me get started. So that's good.

I may or may not say if any of the brownies turn out well. There's a Raley's down the street, within walking distance really, and they have brownies already made, I'm pretty sure. HA. 
post signature

No comments:

About Me

My photo
just a crafty grandma experimenting with all sorts of things. My main interests are paper craft of any kind and quilting/sewing. But I've done leatherwork, polymer clay, on-the-wheel pottery, painted molded ceramics, papier mache, stained glass, plaster casting, linoleum printing, paper making... you name it, I've probably tried it. A few I actually stuck with. :)