Friday, October 23, 2020

#3 post of the day.

I did something I've never done before. Green tomato pickles. Are they good? I don't know. The recipe calls for garlic, peppercorns, dill... of course vinegar and water and salt. And sugar. I added bits of red and yellow peppers and bits of onions too, since I wasn't sure I had totally enough green tomatoes. Turned out I did. So I still have a few green tomatoes, last year they ripened on the counter.

Oh this feels so GOOD. I haven't preserved anything in so long. Maybe since Evelyn died. Probably, because that last year of preserving with Evelyn was bittersweet, I knew it would be the last one, and she felt like she was passing on her skills to me. I have done lots of canning with my mom, and by myself, but I learned some stuff too.

These particular pickles don't require canning, and they aren't long term storage ones. I figured for the first time in a long time I wouldn't get out everything for 2 pint jars of pickles. I'm thinking they could have fit in my spaghetti cooking pan, but this will be great. I didn't have fresh new lids anyway. I hear they are hard to find. Might have to try.

The peppers came from my husband's artistic efforts every Halloween. They turned out wonderfully! Since we won't be "doing" Halloween this year because of the pandemic, he did it early, and after pictures the peppers went in the fridge to actually get used. He fixed a wonderful omelette yesterday with the orange pepper, and I used a little of the red and yellow ones... this brine has turmeric in it, so who knows what color they will be. I am looking forward to it but have to wait a week or so to let them pickle.


Happy Autumn!

No comments:

About Me

My photo
just a crafty grandma experimenting with all sorts of things. My main interests are paper craft of any kind and quilting/sewing. But I've done leatherwork, polymer clay, on-the-wheel pottery, painted molded ceramics, papier mache, stained glass, plaster casting, linoleum printing, paper making... you name it, I've probably tried it. A few I actually stuck with. :)