Thursday, October 1, 2020

Mixed Media Morsels, masking and torn paper


First one, MMM # 10, masking

Take a piece of painted paper (I used one of my scrape off cards, and added a bit more color) Then cut out shapes, these are from a couple of old punches. I've been going through them, wondering if I should keep them since I rarely use them. The first piece I made, I used some 2 in 1 glue, it is SUPPOSED to be temporary when dry but it sure didn't work, everything stuck really well but that's not the point, you are supposed to be able to take off the mask. So I rolled some tiny pieces of washi tape and stuck them on. I didn't get super crisp edges that way. Ideally, I would use masking paper. So I might redo after I get some. This is sitting under a weight now so it flattens out.





 


MMM # 11 torn paper

This isn't even pretty to me, but it could have possible uses. Cat used scraps of gelli prints, but right now I don't have a bunch of those, the only ones are the ones that need more layers... so I grabbed a National Geographic. May add more layers, the pages are pretty thin so I think I could. Or tear into skinnier strips, this is a tiny 2 1/ 2 x 3 so it would look different on a bigger project. 

The next project is to make a tiny journal, from cardboard and torn paper, We hardly ever use processed food in boxes, so I'll have to wait until hubby gets an urge to have mac and cheese, which he got a couple grocery orders ago. Then there's that brownie mix he got.... well, I might have to make brownies, which I am trying to avoid and he shouldn't have at all.... we blame everything on this pandemic, so there are going to be Pandemic Brownies. And Pandemic Pounds. Argh. The worst thing is when you read that "overweight" is a risk factor. I was down to normal weight when this hit, but I'm heading up, because I am a stress eater, no matter how hard I try, my Little Brat has a tantrum when Adult says no brownies, and hubby's Adult is rarely in charge when grocery shopping. He does the shopping because he is the one who can wake up early and go before the crowds. He's usually back home before I even know he went. 

Funny thing, I ended up participating in a fund raiser for a dance studio in South Carolina. That may sound super odd, I don't know anyone in South Carolina in the face to face world, but there's Karen, and I don't have any idea how many years, I think 15 or 20, we "met" in a card making group on yahoo, and followed each other in facebook when facebook was new. Her sister is the one with a dance studio in financial trouble due to this pandemic. It's just a drop in a bucket. She's expecting her 4th child, so every bit will help. I never have shopped much here in my home town at all the little businesses except maybe the Double Dip Gallery, and they almost closed. It's sad and scary, seeing what is happening in our world. So back to painting. Might just make brownies first. I need the cardboard LOL

so what are scrape off cards? I got this hint from Cat. When you are doing paint cleanup, use some cards to clean up when there's only bits of paint, and you get interesting cards, with the leftover paint. There's also the Composition Book of Unwasted Paint, where I put some of that if there's quite a bit left over, take a stencil or whatever and just do something or other in the book. Below, some Scrape Off Cards, and a page from my Composition Book of Unwasted Paint. My favorite page. I may do something with it, but for now, I just admire it when I get my book out to use up paint. 




No comments:

About Me

My photo
just a crafty grandma experimenting with all sorts of things. My main interests are paper craft of any kind and quilting/sewing. But I've done leatherwork, polymer clay, on-the-wheel pottery, painted molded ceramics, papier mache, stained glass, plaster casting, linoleum printing, paper making... you name it, I've probably tried it. A few I actually stuck with. :)