Thursday, October 15, 2020

Here's the process. In case you are interested.

Cat Hand's prompt MMM Main Dishes #4, Tissue paper tree

I wanted to write down the process for once. I started out by grabbing my gesso. This is supposed to be LIQUID. OOPS. So, channeling Carolyn Dube. Turn a mistake into an Outstanding Opportunity Presenting Suddenly.

OOPS. It is semi dried out. So it's like between texture paste and play doh. I thought, well maybe I could just do a textured background instead with it. 

Not bad. It's like spackle in texture. But it smooths out instead of staying textured. I let it dry overnight.  This picture is after it was done and dry brushed color. The tree is started too (on the right!) I forgot about documenting the process, LOL To do the tree, you take regular tissue paper and scrunch it, saturate it with 1/2 glue and 1/2 water and mold it to the tree shape. Cat drew a tree, but I kind of free handed it.  


Then I splattered the green with color a little, you know, for wildflowers. I didn't like that. So I got out some lighter green and smeared it with my fingers. My fingers enjoy paint smearing... I filled in the white spots after I saw this picture. 

Next step, walk away and LET IT DRY. Here's a close up of the tree part.


I'm thankful for youtube. I guess I say that a lot. Can't take art classes, but I can do a lot of learning anyway. 

Must. Be. Patient. To. Let. It. Dry. That's why often I do stuff like this just before bed, then I am not constantly wondering if it's dry. So, is it dry yet?? 

2 hours later, it's almost dry. So I painted the tree anyway. First coat. I will do more with a darker brown when it is dry. 
so is it a spring tree, an autumn tree? What else will I do with this? Sometimes with pages I will get maybe this far and put it in the journal, to be finished later. Not sure about this one yet, I'm not coming up with any further thing. I know that everybody's style is different, but mine always seems rough and sloppy. Other people do these detailed perfect things. 

Here's Cat Hand's facebook. Her stuff is always precise and gorgeous and perfectly outlined. From a different perspective, here's Carolyn Dube's website. Another person who has inspired me is Traci Bunkers.   I think what these three have in common is the Just Do It attitude. I've always been afraid to just paint or whatever and let whatever comes out be what it is. 
As far as stamping goes, I think who started me on that journey was actually someone not famous for stamping, but for other stuff. She sent me cards that were stamped and I wanted to do that. I admired her courage, and HER Just Do It attitude. Sadly, I remember I borrowed a couple stamps from her that I still have. Oh dear.  Lorna's site (nothing to do with painting, but she does lots of stuff)  And another friend, Rosemary Bluhm, who designed stamps and paper for awhile. She was brave enough to use a power saw. I only did that with my dad standing by, LOL 

Anyway the memories could go on forever. Maybe my tree is dry.

Yes it was dry. So I mixed a little black with a little brown paint, and it was too black, so added a little brown, too much so added a little black. Painted the tree, had paint left over. SO out comes the Composition Book of Unwasted Paint. I grabbed a stencil, and did some brown stenciling. Looks creepy. So there was a ball sitting there, dipped it in the paint, blobbed it on. It feels really good to do that, even if it turns out ugly. The paint wasn't a good consistency for that particular stencil, so it blobbed too. I just laughed and blobbed some more. A change from the past, when I might just get mad and throw it all away. So what. I know that another layer will change everything.



so all that paint wasn't wasted, it's now a layer in my book. It may or may not turned into a journal page some time. I just like looking through my little CB of UP book... 

oh. The tree. I'm pretty meh about this one, so it will probably just be stuck in my journal and some time I'll do something with it. I did enjoy the process, getting all painty and gluey. 



And I finished a different page, that I started a few years ago. Just a simple watercolor wash. Ink from Catherine Pooler, stamps from Gina K Designs. Quote from.... Albert Einstein. 

 
 



post signature

No comments:

About Me

My photo
just a crafty grandma experimenting with all sorts of things. My main interests are paper craft of any kind and quilting/sewing. But I've done leatherwork, polymer clay, on-the-wheel pottery, painted molded ceramics, papier mache, stained glass, plaster casting, linoleum printing, paper making... you name it, I've probably tried it. A few I actually stuck with. :)