Thursday, October 29, 2020

painting with nail polish??

Lately, I've been doing whatever comes in to my mind when I walk in the craft room. I consolidate for awhile, throw some things out, look in boxes I haven't seen in awhile and then reward myself by letting myself create. Today I was in the bedroom when I saw a bottle of nail polish sitting there. Now, I hardly ever paint my nails, more often my toenails. But the reason I bought this particular nail polish was to paint something or other since it is such lovely colors, and I thought maybe rocks would like a coat of polish. I've never tried it, it may just peel off, I don't know, but it's worth a try. 

I used three colors, a teal, a purple, and copper.  All are from the Dollar Tree. I've been intrigued by paint pouring, and I've seen it done on rocks, so thought I would try. This looks a bit busy, but it is amazing. It is so satisfying to just watch the colors swirl. A little later I thought about putting it on a turntable and spinning while it drips. I have to be wearing an apron and OUTSIDE to do that though. I've learned the hard way doing some other stuff that it is not all appropriate for Inside. Sometimes it is the smell, and sometimes it is the mess, and sometimes it is both. I remember a project to melt pony beads in the toaster oven. Fortunately I listened to someone who tried it, and told me NOT to use my normal toaster oven, because it would forever smell like melting pony beads. If I ever get to go to a thrift store, and I find a cheap toaster oven, it might get tried. Otherwise, no.

Mr. Rock posing with the Polish Girls. POL ish not PO lish. Just to be clear. Well, they aren't clear, they are kind of metallic. The pictures don't do it justice. It's a good start, I think I used too many layers. And I think if I painted the whole thing with polish first then added other colors it might flow better.
It's all about experiments at the moment, and it's about the PROCESS and not the PRODUCT. I don't really care if the results aren't perfect or gorgeous, I'm just doing. 


** so far, I'd say this idea is a fail. Hours later, it isn't dry at all. Still dripping. We will see tomorrow. 

I don't regret it at all. I love the doing and the experimenting. Maybe I'll marble my fingernails LOL









 

post signature

No comments:

About Me

My photo
just a crafty grandma experimenting with all sorts of things. My main interests are paper craft of any kind and quilting/sewing. But I've done leatherwork, polymer clay, on-the-wheel pottery, painted molded ceramics, papier mache, stained glass, plaster casting, linoleum printing, paper making... you name it, I've probably tried it. A few I actually stuck with. :)