Tuesday, October 13, 2020

Cat Hand's Mixed Media Morsels, Main Dishes #1

Here's my #1 which is not at all like what she did for her #1. She designed wrapping paper and painted and stamped and wrapped the box in the paper. I decided I wanted a box that is For Something, and even though I don't know what I am going to put in it, here's the box.





I started with a cream cheese box. So it's pretty little, only 3 1/2 by 4 inches. I took the box apart so it could lie flat, and painted it with a lovely teal. At that point, there was nothing showing through. I then dry brushed the whole thing with yellow, then a little teal on top of the yellow. There are bits of green in there as well since teal +yellow = green. 

I then was trying to figure out just how to decorate it. I found some rub on things that were perfect since more of the background would show through. I got those on, then coated it with a sealant. Much to my horror, the "cream cheese" and such showed through! I don't know if Mod Podge would have been better, but this is a sealant I use on rocks, so I thought it would be ok. Sigh. So to cover up the "cream cheese" I randomly stamped with teal and a text stamp. That worked pretty well, but then I thought maybe some words would do it. And I liked that even more than the plain rub ons. Carolyn Dube always says, one more layer and you'll love it, and I think that works a lot of the time. And next time I need to remember to gesso the box first (like priming)

So there's #1. I think there are 10 or so main dishes. So this is making me smile today.

Yesterday afternoon we went out to the lake. It's so calm and peaceful. A good break. We played here as kids, swam at the beach, took rowboats out on the lake and once I even swam down the river all the way to Woodbridge. Lots of memories here, and still making more.




post signature

No comments:

About Me

My photo
just a crafty grandma experimenting with all sorts of things. My main interests are paper craft of any kind and quilting/sewing. But I've done leatherwork, polymer clay, on-the-wheel pottery, painted molded ceramics, papier mache, stained glass, plaster casting, linoleum printing, paper making... you name it, I've probably tried it. A few I actually stuck with. :)