Tuesday, October 13, 2020

MMM Main Dishes #3 using napkins as focal point

I've used napkins a lot in my journals. I love how they disappear into the background like tissue paper does. It's different when you set out to do that, instead of just randomly deciding to use something. Coming up with something specific is kind of like reading music as opposed to playing by ear. I mostly play whatever it is I'm playing by ear instead of reading music. I CAN read music, but often I just play what's in my head. Just like in doing an art journal, when I just create and do whatever it is I feel like I am doing instead of Following the Rules... But this has been really good for me. 

People would look at me funny if they knew that at their party I'm grabbing an extra napkin and sticking it in my purse. At least I did once. It's a gorgeous napkin with a scripture verse on it, and I should just make a journal page with it! I almost did this time but that napkin would cover a whole page. Another day.

Paper napkins are usually 3 layers, but some are only 2. These were from (drumroll) Dollar Tree. I was going to cut out the ones on the dark background then realized that would be a LOT of work, so decided to just do a circle in the middle of a book print page, and put the leaves around the edges. Then I stamped some other leaves too. I may add more to it. Who knows. Sometimes years later I come add something to a page. But it's good for now. I liked the word "discover" which was on the stamp set with the leaves. I have no idea where the stamps came from. There are other good stuff, like a butterfly, a bug, a bird... Another day.

The days when I do two or three projects are those high stress days to me. Sometimes there are just things that bother me. Today was one of those days. Painting and journaling really help. So paint paint paint. Glue stuff. Watch a video and do what they do. Of course, my projects rarely look anything like the video. I'm not trying to copy, just trying to get some good techniques, and get inspiration. Cat's videos are what I'm watching at the moment, but there are so many others out there. We are fortunate to live in these days, although sometimes it doesn't feel so fortunate considering there's a pandemic afoot. And an election less than a month away. 

My Paperwork is nearly done. That will take a load off me. One more step. So one day at a time. 
post signature

No comments:

About Me

My photo
just a crafty grandma experimenting with all sorts of things. My main interests are paper craft of any kind and quilting/sewing. But I've done leatherwork, polymer clay, on-the-wheel pottery, painted molded ceramics, papier mache, stained glass, plaster casting, linoleum printing, paper making... you name it, I've probably tried it. A few I actually stuck with. :)