Monday, October 19, 2020

Fighting the Sad

Music fights the sad. Paint fights the sad, and glue, and paper, and leaves. Feeling dirt under my bare feet. Green grass that is damp from the dew. Clouds. The wind, especially when leaves are blowing all over. Cool crisp air of autumn. Snow in the winter, especially when it is so windy the snow is blowing sideways. Being on the beach. Being at a lake. Being in a forest. oh yes, I love being in the forest and hearing the wind at the top of the trees. That day when I was walking in the forest when it was my home and when I came around a bend in the path face to face with a gorgeous buck. Scared us both!

Getting out an instrument and playing and singing fights the sad. The one in the picture has been a blessing to me. My sister in law gave it to me. It needs tuning, but I've been lazy about that, and get used to it being a little out of tune. I am blessed with musical instruments. In addition to this wonderful autoharp, I have a lap harp (zither) that I am re-learning and I have found a wonderful source of music for it. I have a ukulele that my Gen inspired me to get, since the guitar is too much for my arthritic fingers any more. I still have my violin, but it hasn't been out of the case much lately, and the bow is sprung, and I either need to buy a new one or get this one fixed. Otherwise it's all pizzicato. I don't have a flute anymore, but there's a clarinet around here that my hubby knew how to play, once upon a time. Then there's the electronic keyboard, which is not nearly as satisfying to play as a piano, but since I no longer work at a church I don't get a chance to play. My father in law's accordion is here,   I don't exactly KNOW how to play it, but when I picked it up my fingers knew. So I played it. It's loud and I laugh when I play it. The chord buttons like an autoharp has, not the same, but it was familiar. And the other hand plays a keyboard, and my fingers know how to do that! Then there's the box of rhythm instruments from my music teacher days. With plenty of different pipes, a recorder, rhythm sticks, maracas, some rhythm eggs, a rain stick, a tambourine, a couple hand made flutes, a guiro, a set of finger cymbals, and who knows what else is in there!! Somewhere I have a set of bells. I wonder where?? Sounds like I have plenty of sad fighters, even if I don't go in the craft room. Makes me feel better, just thinking about all the sad fighting helpers I have.

post signature


Reminded me of something else in the suitcase. My dad's bones. Not HIS bones, but the bones that he played. You put them in your fingers somehow and hit them against your knee... hmm. Imagine, an instrument I have that I can't play... WOW there's the internet, and you tube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMokBr9cTxM   




No comments:

About Me

My photo
just a crafty grandma experimenting with all sorts of things. My main interests are paper craft of any kind and quilting/sewing. But I've done leatherwork, polymer clay, on-the-wheel pottery, painted molded ceramics, papier mache, stained glass, plaster casting, linoleum printing, paper making... you name it, I've probably tried it. A few I actually stuck with. :)