Monday, October 5, 2020

Miracles come in all shapes and sizes

A friend brought this beautiful dahlia to me for my birthday. I always want to have an Evelyn garden, like my husband's mom managed to have even when she was in her 90s and I don't seem to be able to make happen around here. 

These days are so discouraging. I keep thinking that somehow I will be magically encouraged, but every day things happen that make me draw in and be sad. 

BUT. I'm thankful for this flower. I am thankful for the dinner my hubby ordered from Chili's for us for dinner. I am thankful the smoke was not quite so bad today even though I could still not be outside. I am thankful for my silly kitty, she only bit me one time today. But she sat on my lap a lot without incident. 

It is easy to give in to the depression, and I often do. I am thankful for the fact that I pulled out for a little bit. 


Morsel # 18, wavy letters. I am not satisfied, but this is, after all, supposed to be an example... but it just looks sloppy. I think it will be fun to use in journals, however. One reason I am doing this is having all these cards to remind me of techniques and ideas that I may not have thought of in awhile, or just something different to do. So here's something to practice. And figure out how I can make guide lines, because pencil doesn't erase very well from paint. I've been thinking about it, and I could make some stencils with lines, that I could tape on the sides. I tried washi tape, but it pulls off the paint. Masking paper might do the same thing. Right now, I'm going to keep going on the morsels, but I'm going to come back to this one and see how I can improve. 

One of the things that improves these things is embellishments. It is harder to just doodle on the paint, I have yet to find a great pen that works, maybe the poscas would, but I put them somewhere safe when I did rocks last... HA.

I hate it when I do that.



So a little embellishment. Doesn't make the lettering look any better, but that little butterfly is so sweet. I'll try this lettering with some doodling or something. And/or figure out a better pen. This is just sharpie, after I tried several other pens, and it did the best, but still yucky I think. Meantime it will remind me of the technique. Next time not on such a teensy card. That's part of the issue!!

I really am loving my technique notebook. Thanks to Justine Hovey who came up with the idea, but her techniques are mainly with inks and such. Cat Hand's journaling uses lots of paint. I decided to just put everything in one place. 

Then when I run out of ideas, I can just challenge myself to do one of these techniques. I'm seeing plenty of Cat's techniques that I could turn into cards as well as art journal pages. Her style is the Neat and Tidy style, and that isn't exactly mine, but she is relaxing to watch and I love the challenge of Working More Neatly. But I also need to watch Carolyn Dube to be reminded of OOPS..... Outstanding Opportunity Presenting Suddenly. A reminder that another layer is possible. And not to take myself so seriously. Lots of people have influenced me, Traci Bunkers, Cat Hand, Carolyn, Justine, Gina K, Rina K, Catherine Pooler, Ingrid Blackburn, oh tons more. I am thankful for You Tube and for the internet. 

It's fun to work on these 3 x 2 1/2 cards, but I also want to work on bigger stuff. For the last week or so I have been working in 5 minute sessions because my back starts in. I need to take some time out to figure out a better place to craft. That doesn't hurt my back so I can work longer. Or get out the pain meds. Getting older is fun.


post signature

No comments:

About Me

My photo
just a crafty grandma experimenting with all sorts of things. My main interests are paper craft of any kind and quilting/sewing. But I've done leatherwork, polymer clay, on-the-wheel pottery, painted molded ceramics, papier mache, stained glass, plaster casting, linoleum printing, paper making... you name it, I've probably tried it. A few I actually stuck with. :)